SHARKS AND RAYS OF THE GULF OF CALIFORNIA
$2995 USD per person
air and travel insurance NOT included
May 4 – 13, 2018
For booking information please contact our office at:
1-800-665-6639 or (250) 655-1915.
May 4 – 13 , 2018
10 day expedition
5 spots left
- Expedition leaders: Dr. Jennifer Schmidt, Dr. Deni Ramirez Macias and Lela Sankeralli.
- 10 days / 9 nights onboard the ship the MV Adventure.
- Whale sharks, sharks and mobula ray research.
- Research will include: documenting whale sharks by photo ID, recording size, injuries and scars, collecting and analyzing plankton samples and tissue sampling.
- Shark and mobula research includes capture, species ID, measurements, tagging & release.
- The expedition offers a rare opportunity to work alongside scientists studying sharks, rays and whale sharks, all in one program.
- Guests will be research assistants documenting the various stages of the research.
- Additional activities: hiking, snorkeling, kayaking and visit to remote communities.
In May 2017 our whale shark research trip was focussed on the first time ever attempted ultrasound on a pregnant female whale shark. We did not get to actually do it but close enough to prove it could be done. Guests Bill and Linda Klipp, professional photographers, captured the essence of the trip in their blogs below.
This 4 night experience packed a lot in to the 3 full days and we wished it could have been longer! A visit from the orcas, performing for us at breakfast on the first morning set the standard and snorkeling with the whale sharks on the second day was amazing.
The 3rd day gave us another brilliant experience as we snorkeled with sea lions coming to look into our camera lens in crystal clear water….as well as swimming with more whalesharks, snorkeling over the undersea world spotting eels, puffer fish, starfish,rays and much more.We learnt a lot from Deni, the guest marine biologist and even got to name a new visiting whale shark.
The crew were superb,the chef amazing…even baked a cake on his BBQ…and Lela (the ‘boss’) was just inspirational in her enthusiasm, knowledge and welcome for us all. If we can return, we certainly will.
ChrisPTravels2015 – Visited October 2015