SHARKS AND RAYS OF THE GULF OF CALIFORNIA
$2995 USD per person
air and travel insurance NOT included
May 4 – 13, 2018
For booking information please contact our office at:
1-800-665-6639 or (250) 655-1915.
May 4 – 13 , 2018
10 day expedition
no available spots on this trip
- Expedition leader: Dr. Deni Ramirez Macias
- Women in Science guests: Dr. Jennifer Schmidt
- 10 days / 9 nights onboard the ship the MV Adventure.
- Whale sharks, sharks and mobula ray research.
- *Research conducted by the Mexican scientists will include: documenting whale sharks by photo ID, recording size, injuries and scars, collecting and analyzing plankton samples and tissue sampling. Each evening the researchers will share with us their findings.
- Shark and mobula research includes capture, species ID, measurements, tagging & release.
- The expedition offers a rare opportunity to observe scientists, Dr. Deni Ramirez Macias, Pete Arana and Marta Palacios studying sharks, rays and whale sharks, all in one program.
- Guests will experience the work of the Mexican scientists mentioned above as they collect and documenting the various stages of their research.
- Additional activities: hiking, snorkeling, kayaking and visit to remote communities.
- It should be noted that the research carried out is done under the authorization of the Mexican scientists. Guest scientists and additional participants will not be involved in the actual research but will have the opportunity to observe their Mexican counterparts as they collect and present the data.
- This expedition has been design to offer an insight into the importance of wildlife conservation recognizing the need for global collaboration of saving our oceans.
*Please note: Under no circumstances is this expedition meant as a collaboration of research but a collaboration of two amazing women in science (Dr. Deni Ramirez and Dr. Jennifer Schmidt) inspiring and sharing their past and present work in their respective fields. Guests will not be actively involved in any part of the research that may violate any laws or regulations set forth by the Mexican government. This expedition has been designed as a Citizen Science program hosted in an educational format through presentations by the Mexican scientists. Under the scientist research authorization the aerial photography with guests has been cancelled.
In May 2017 our whale shark research trip was focused on the first time ever attempted ultrasound on a pregnant female whale shark. We did not get to actually do it but close enough to prove it could be done. Guests Bill and Linda Klipp, professional photographers, captured the essence of the trip in their blogs below.
This whale shark research expedition really was the trip of a lifetime – the best I’ve ever been on! Lela at Panterra couldn’t do enough for you, not only on this trip but helping with pre and post travel plans too. She was a fantastic guide on the trip – the wildlife we saw up close (whale sharks, sea lions, mobula rays, octopuses, amongst many other creatures) were a total wonder, and Lela not only took us to the best places to see them, she told us a lot about them. The ship was very comfortable – brilliant and helpful crew. The food onboard was excellent too. The whole trip was a lot of fun and very exciting. I would highly recommend it and I hope I get the opportunity to go back.
“The world’s aquarium” …Jacque Cousteau has that right! As if snorkeling among the massive whale sharks wasn’t exciting enough, the variety of sea life and clarity of the water was incredible. Lela, the crew, and Marine Biologist Dr. Deni Ramirez provide an incredible learning experience set in a breathtaking landscape and relaxed atmosphere. (I’m going back, and I’m bring friends!!)
A visit from the orcas, performing for us at breakfast on the first morning set the standard and snorkeling with the whale sharks on the second day was amazing.
The 3rd day gave us another brilliant experience as we snorkeled with sea lions coming to look into our camera lens in crystal clear water….as well as swimming with more whalesharks, snorkeling over the undersea world spotting eels, puffer fish, starfish,rays and much more.We learnt a lot from Deni, the guest marine biologist and even got to name a new visiting whale shark.
The crew were superb,the chef amazing…even baked a cake on his BBQ…and Lela (the ‘boss’) was just inspirational in her enthusiasm, knowledge and welcome for us all. If we can return, we certainly will.
ChrisPTravels2015, England – Visited 2015