Un Mar de Investigación / Sea of Research (SOR) Geo Eexpedición
air and travel insurance NOT included
For booking information please contact our office at (250) 655 1915 or email: email@example.com
Oct. 26 – Nov. 1, 2019
7 day expedition
- 6 days/5 nights onboard the MV Adventure
- 1 night stay at the Hotel Catedral in La Paz
- Natural history, education and culture expedition
- Geo activities:
- Explore and document new geological and geomorphological areas.
- Visit old salt and other mining sites.
- Observe island tectonic uplifting; marine terraces; marine caverns and arches, red cross-bedded sandstone unit forming coastal cliffs, marine fossiliferous sedimentation.
- Snorkel areas studying the underwater geology.
- Additional activities:
- Snorkel with whale sharks and sea lions
- Kayaking, wildlife viewing and remote community visit(s)
- Observe sea turtles laying eggs by night & hatchlings emerge by day
- Evening nightlights, astronomy and a shark monitoring program (sea turtle & shark monitoring based on conservationist’s or animal availability)
- Day trip to an ancient seabed on mainland Baja California Peninsula
- The expedition is open to 14 scientists, educators and students with the goal of international participation
- Working in partnership with Universidad Autónoma de Baja California Sur (UABCS)
Trip Advisor Reviews
The Most Amazing Experience of My Life
This trip was literally the best experience I have had in my whole life. Not only was it an amazing educational experience for the 13 students I brought on this trip but it was also a once in a lifetime experience for me too. The wildlife was interesting and diverse including whales, dolphins, sea lions, sea turtles, mobula rays and all kinds of fish, birds, lizards and invertebrates. Lela was not only knowledgeable about the wildlife but also has a wonderful heart for the locals in area which is simply contagious. Her wonderful personality made the trip even better and after knowing her for only a short time, I left feeling like I was saying goodbye to an old friend. I highly recommend this trip to anyone and simply cannot say enough good things about it.
Date of experience: July 2018
Panterra Eco Expedition Sea of Cortez
My husband and I had an amazing experience on the Panterra Excursion for Educators this summer. Four days on a 110′ ship in one of the world’s most beautiful and untouched marine environments. Whether snorkeling or kayaking in pristine waters full of life or gazing at the spectacular night sky, we were touched by nature’s greatness and significance. Lela, Alan, and the rest of the crew created a safe, fun, and informative experience, really treating us above and beyond our expectations. We ate some of the best food ever! We’ve traveled to many places in the world, yet this adventure was unique in many ways and highly recommended! Go for it if possible!
Date of experience: July 2017
Best Hands-on Learning Experience!
This isn’t just some tour Panterra offers a hands-on learning experience by immersing you into the water, hiking through the arroyos, touching the grey whales, studying the bones, inspect the rocks and geological formations, study the habitats and adaptations of the marine organisms, analyze food webs and ecosystems, and most importantly challenge you to explore and learn. I have taking my students here for almost 10 years to study marine ecosystems and for good reasons. The Panterra trip leader is a Canadian with decades of Mexican marine ecosystem experience, the naturalist is a skilled local with excellent English, and the crew (though minimal English) were fantastic in keeping the entire group safe, fed, and taken care of. We experienced things and saw things that go beyond the text book: grey whales, sea lions, swam with whale shark, helped monitor sea turtles, snorkelled around the dazzling reefs, gazed at the sparkling stars on a dark night, awed at the bioluminescent plankton, hiked on the islands and studied their ecology. And we still had time for fun on the beaches, sea kayaked, jumped off side of ship, visited fishing villages to give donations, and spent time with our workbooks to reinforce our marine ecosystems experiences. This trip cared about safety, learning, and appreciation of the beauty that is Baja Mexico. It was (and always will be) a thrilling life-time experience for us. The company also offers family-oriented, adults only, and specialty themed trips which I had the fortune to also go on.
Reviewed April 17, 2017